Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Supporting Your Child with a Disability



By Child Mind Institute 

I recently came across this article (linked above) which highlights some great ways to support your child if they have a disability.  I often hear about concerns with kids who may have low self esteem because of their disabilities.  I think this is such an important topic and a great opportunity for open and ongoing discussion.  I have blogged and shared resources about this topic before (see earlier posts), but I think this article highlights some key points as well.  I especially like how the Child Mind Institute highlights how a student's disability (often times) has nothing to do with their intelligence level.  Most students with a learning disability whether it's reading based or ADHD are of at least Average intelligence levels.  I think this is an important factor to point out to kids.  

No comments:

Post a Comment